Pokemon Go is the new app that is sweeping the nation. It’s a gaming app that sticks to the original concept of Pokemon of catching them all, and defeating gym leaders. But, this app has people jumping out of their seats with excitement, literally.
Pokemon Go uses Google Maps to place Pokemon around the world. Players use a tracking system to locate Pokemon in a 30 meter radius. Once the player finds the Pokemon, they then use the camera on their smart phone to aim and throw a Pokeball at the Pokemon to capture it.
An estimated number of 9.5 million people are banding together to become the next Pokemon master. The app has groups of friends searching around their towns and cities to catch’em all. It sounds fun, right? So here are five basic tips to get you started, so that you and your friends can join in on the action.
1. The Tracking System
- The tracking system is located in the lower right hand corner of your phone showing you what Pokemon are in a 30 meter radius of your location via Google Maps.
- Notice how your persona emits a constant circle almost like they are using radar or echolocation? This circle extends up to 10 meters so that you can more accurately pinpoint Pokemon.
- Pull up the tracking system now. Notice there are footprints by each Pokemon? Each footprint represents 10 meters. So, if the Pokemon has three footprints by them then they are 30 meters away. If the Pokemon has one footprint then they are only 10 meters away from you and you need to go catch them!
2. Pokemon Candy and Stardust
- Pokemon evolve once you obtain the right amount of candy depicted in their summary.
- Stardust is used to power up the combat level (CP) of your Pokemon.
- It is recommended you wait to use these on a high CP Pokemon so that when they evolve they have the highest amount of CP possible.
3. Where to Find Pokemon
- Many Pokemon are concentrated in popular places around you such as downtown or famous landmarks.
- If you want to find a certain type of Pokemon, then look for them in their natural environment. You will find water Pokemon by sources of water, ghost Pokemon at night, and grass Pokemon in fields and forest.
- Some Pokemon can only be caught by walking a certain amount of kilometers to hatch them from eggs or by evolving them.
4. Important Items.
- Pokeballs are naturally the most important item you need to capture Pokemon. Be sure to regularly stop by Pokestops to flip the icon with a swipe of your finger to get more.
- Items such as incense and lures will attract wild Pokemon to you, but use them sparingly as there aren’t many.
- Be sure to get rid of any items to make room for more, as your backpack can only hold so many items.
5. Challenging Gyms
- You can challenge gyms once you are level five.
- Attack the other Pokemon by rapidly tapping on them.